[xmca] please sign the NAACP pledge about textbooks

<http://action.naacp.org/page/m/474a3789/7990c0d2/7e6ec778/2f615780/13356133
09/VEsH/>

<http://action.naacp.org/page/m/474a3789/7990c0d2/7e6ec778/2f615781/13356133
09/VEsE/> Not in my State
Have you heard about what's going on here in Texas? History is being
rewritten. And not in a good way.

The state of Texas sets national standards for school textbooks -- and on
Friday, the State Board of Education is casting its vote on updated social
studies and history textbooks.

Those books are changing the record on slavery, celebrating the Confederacy
and shedding a positive light on Jim Crow laws. And the Texas NAACP has
spent the past several months fighting back. We've written thousands of
emails, placed hundreds of calls, and people are starting to notice.

I'm writing because we need your help. No matter the result of tomorrow's
vote, make sure these bad ideas don't spread into your state. Sign the Not
in My State Pledge:

<http://action.naacp.org/page/m/474a3789/7990c0d2/7e6ec778/2f615781/13356133
09/VEsF/> http://action.naacp.org/NotInMyState

The civil rights era was, and remains, one of the most significant and
defining moments in U.S. history. Its leaders were true patriots -- fighting
against oppression and for equality.

But if the proposed textbook changes happen, our children won't learn about
them. They won't learn about brave men like Sam McCollough, who gave his
life for Texas independence. And they won't learn that Texas seceded from
the Union to fight for the Confederacy in the Civil War.

Rewriting history in the name of national pride isn't patriotic. It's
ignorant.

Make it known throughout your state that if Texas textbook standards pass,
they won't be coming into your classrooms. Sign the Not in My State Pledge
to stop history from being rewritten:

<http://action.naacp.org/page/m/474a3789/7990c0d2/7e6ec778/2f615781/13356133
09/VEsC/> http://action.naacp.org/NotInMyState

American history -- the good, the bad and the ugly -- is what makes our
country what it is today. A reminder of that past helps ensure a better
future for all of us.

Thank you for speaking out,

Gary Bledsoe
Texas President
NAACP

P.S. To find out the voting results and watch an interview with NAACP
President, Benjamin Todd Jealous, tune in to NBC Nightly News tomorrow
(Friday) at 6:30/5:30 p.m. ET/CT.

Peg Griffin,

JPEG image

JPEG image