Re: [xmca] moral life of babies

Mike, "sublate" translates Hegel's German verb "aufheben." One sense of the verb is to keep (safe), in opposition to throwing it away. Another sense is to cancel something, to undo. In dialectical thinking, therefore, INNER contradictions (not the logical ones that some people call "inner" when in fact they are not inner at all) are never done away with, they are kept and done away with. Aufheben means to say both happen. The contradictions appear because one-sided expressions are held against each other, when in fact, they are "sublated", done away with, in the superordinate concept. But they are kept because, as one-sided expressions of the whole, they still exist. :-) Michael

On 2010-05-07, at 7:26 AM, mike cole wrote:

Jay raiises your question in another, Andy. Plenty of uncertainty to go
around.
Is sublate a particular kind of transformative relationship?

If we are going to get keep into this, the work of Jean Mandler seems to
require some kind of consideration. She quite explicitly critiques the
"sensori-motor first"
idea in Piaget's version of it which seems a least similar to Jay's
formuation.
mike