Re: [xmca] moral life of babies

I think there are some very basic issues involved in the question of what could be meant by pre-linguistic "concepts".

It seems pretty clear that semiotics does not require language, so in some sense there is meaning apart from language -- though perhaps it is not a kind of meaning that is easily recoverable or imaginable for someone who has already been "infected" by language. Once language is running, it tends to color or bleed over into (i.e. semiotically combine with) any other sort of meaning. Maybe less so in dreams or some drug-influenced states, or some meditative states.

Hence the mystery of what the meaning-world of babies might be like. I have been trying in the last few months to do some thinking about sensorimotor semiosis as a sort of precursor to and eventually foundation for linguistic-sensori-motor semiosis. I've been trying to build on the work in the field of biosemiosis, which ranges from thinking about meaning-making by nonhuman primates to the possibility of some sort of Peircean semiosis being accomplished by or within single cells. At the same time, it seems important to get a more whole-body notion of "thinking" or meaning-making (the latter synonymous for me with semiosis, at least in complex functional situations -- not sure yet about at the cellular level). For this I am trying to fold in Sheets-Johnstone's notions of animacy and the arguments by Tim Ingold that put the brain back in its place: not as the seat of thinking, but as one part of a larger system in which and by which meanings are made (cf. Bateson's man-axe-tree circuit).

I do think it's reasonable to start with the assumption that whatever complex social-evaluative behavior babies appear to show, as interpreted by culture-bound adults, it is (a) not the same as what we do, however similar it looks, and (b) potentially some sort of helpful precursor or base on which to build, and from which to transform/develop towards something more like what adults do. Always keeping in mind that it might also be a neonate and infant stage-specific functional substitute for what adults do that is then entirely replaced by the later adult mechanism. And in some cases probably a mix of these options occurs (i.e. some bits retained and transformed, others overlaid and suppressed, still others becoming vestigial and disappearing).

While Bloom is pretty careful to distinguish full-blown adult cultural morality from what one infers about infant behavior in quasi-moral situations, what he has to say about what full-blown morality IS seems very culturally bound while trying hard to assert a universality that seems to me unlikely. In semantic analysis of evaluations, which may be a way of hearing the cumulative experience of language use over millennia, EXPECTATION/SURPRISE and DESIRABLE/UNDESIRABLE are quite distinct dimensions of evaluation (in a set of about six such, including also IMPORTANCE and APPROPRIATENESS) that appear to be in principle independent of one another. Now developmentally these may be differentiated off-shoots of earlier, broader, vaguer evaluations. Being on different branches of the putative developmental tree in this regard, they are not really good candidates to stand in as indexes for one another, and none of them can really correspond in meaning to their common "vague" ancestor (note that "vague" here is a semi-technical usage in some developmental and evolutionary theories in biology as well as in Peircean semiotics). So when babies look longer at choice A vs choice B, I would still be a bit cautious in inferring that this tells me how they feel even about "surprise" or "expectedness". And likewise for inferences about Appropriateness or Desirability.

There's some sort of proto-amygdala-neocortex fizz that's getting integrated, at least pro tem, into a wider body-environment animacy circuit (looking longer), and maybe it's some sort of precursor along the developmental path for more complex and differentiated evaluative behaviors. I think I'd stop there, and well short of speculations about innate "morality" defined the way my own culture defines "morality". But that wouldn't make the New York Times.

JAY.

Jay Lemke
Professor (Adjunct, 2009-2010)
Educational Studies
University of Michigan
Ann Arbor, MI 48109
www.umich.edu/~jaylemke

Visiting Scholar
Laboratory for Comparative Human Cognition
University of California -- San Diego
La Jolla, CA
USA 92093