From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu [xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of mike cole [lchcmike@gmail.com]
Sent: 30 April 2010 16:20
To: Avis Ridgway
Cc: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity; Avis Ridgway
Subject: Re: [xmca] Honestly....

What you describe, Avis, is very much like what Meltzoff et al have been
describing for a long time.... for which there is more than one
explanation. I believe there is work on yawning as contagion so I would
focus on tongue protrusion just to "simplify" things.

The GREAT thing about first person accounts of new parents (and observing
grandparents!) is that they see things as real observing participants in a
special way. Its also a difficulty at times precisely because they are
participants, they are interacting, and it is extra- ordinarily difficult to
tell the dancer from the dance.

Unhappily, I became professionally interested in early development only
after my kids were somewhat older. No home flics, no clear recording or
memory. And a man. On this topic, it seems to me that the mother's point of
view is especially important. So its really nice to have several women with
first hand experience helping us to understand what we are talking about.
But even so, it is impossible for a mom to vary eye movement, head movement,
and hairline independently to figure out what the newcomer is looking at.
Seems like the best we can do is triangulate different sources of info and
be sure we have lots of them/// triangles all the way down, I suppose.
mike