Re: [xmca] Honestly....

As I understand it, the new-born has a *very* limited bunch of reflexes which are sufficient for a propensity to attend to the actions of others to be unfolded by appropriate actions of the nearby adults. Very limited. Along the lines of Jenna's comment, I can't see what "interaction" would mean to a 2-day old child. There is no doubt that humans are so built that normal development absolutely requires interaction with others, but I think we must be very cautious in supposing what is there already.

Andy

Martin Packer wrote:
But Jenna, isn't that a large part of the point? The fact that we commonly assume that what we see in the young child is related to what adults do shows how infants can, without really trying,  'draw out' the adults around them into interaction, far from it being the other way around. Better put, it's not one way around or the other, but a complex interaction from the get-go to which both partners contribute, having been prepared to do so by many millenia of evolution.

Martin