Re: [xmca] Honestly....

Louise, Carol,

As you know, I'm not talking from my own research, just what I have read by Ilyenkov and A I Meshcheryakov, so I am open to being proved wrong by people who have actually researched the topic. But I actually don't see the observations that either of you have raised as contradicting the point I wanted to make.

It is obvious that human organisms are born (or gestated, whatever the word is) with characteristics which are only later realized. If there is no basis for flying in the human baby, it cannot learn to fly. But whatever is in the organism is only realized though interaction with other people in culturally determined forms of use of cultural artefacts.

The "Honestly ..." thread began with Eric counterposing innateness to intersubjective construction. Apart from the need to distinguish intersubjective from the societal and cultural, my claim was (1) these two forms are not mutually exclusive alternatives, and (2) even the propensity for "intersubjective construction" was not simply innate, but had to be fostered. In other words, exactly the point you are making Carol. Left without responsive adults, a child cannot develop a social sense.

Andy

Carol Macdonald wrote:
Andy
I am not sure that I agree with you about there being no innate drive. There is psychological data to show that orphan children, who are simply dumped in a cot and has no interaction with a caregiver (except for getting a bottle) either grow up impoverished socially, or worse, die. Luckily, since we know that, crèches are a bit more caring.
Carol