From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu [xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of Rod Parker-Rees [R.Parker-Rees@plymouth.ac.uk]
Sent: 27 April 2010 17:09
To: ablunden@mira.net; eXtended Mind, Culture,  Activity
Subject: RE: [xmca] Honestly....

Andy - as to what children are born with - what of the enculturation that proceeds before birth? In the last months of pregnancy the foetus is literally immersed in the life of its mother, absorbing rhythms of movement, speech, waking and sleeping, even feeding and drinking. In 'the West', and fairly recently, we have exaggerated the identification of the moment of birth with the separation of the 'individual' child from the mother but at other times and still in other places this transition is much slower as the newborn baby continues to spend much of its time held close to its mother. Do we have any studies on the early development of deaf blind children who are born into this world of touch and contact?

It may be that there is a developmental point when we have absolutely nothing but I think it is difficult to argue that this is true of the newborn child. Of course if children are isolated from the person with whom they have developed some form of proto-familiarity they are less likely to be able to continue to develop their ability to engage actively with their environment but this does not mean that they had nothing to develop!

All the best,

Rod