From: Teachers College Record <noreply@tcrecord.org>
Date: Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 8:21 AM
Subject: TCRecord: How Teachers Approach Emotions in the Classroom
To: mcole@ucsd.edu

    [image: Title]
  [image: Subscribe Today] <http://www.tcrecord.org/Subscriptions.asp>
   [image: transparent 13]
    Freely-Available This Week
Articles
 "There Are No Emotions in Math": How Teachers Approach Emotions in the
Classroom <http://www.tcrecord.org/Content.asp?ContentID=15153>
by Meca Williams, Dionne Cross, Ji Hong, Lori Aultman, Jennifer Osbon & Paul
Schutz
 This project was designed to develop an understanding of how teachers talk
about emotional transactions in the classroom. This is a phenomenological
study in that we assume there is some essence to classroom emotional
experiences, and we seek to understand this essence from the teacher's
perspective. Our analysis suggests how teacher beliefs and teacher selves
may be related to how these teachers approached emotion in the classroom. In
addition, we discuss six ways in which these teachers approached emotional
experiences during classroom transactions.

 The Pedagogy of Monsters: Scary Disturbances in a Doctoral Research
Preparation Course <http://www.tcrecord.org/Content.asp?ContentID=15152>
by Nancy Lesko, Jacqueline A. Simmons, Antoinette Quarshie & Nicki Newton
 This article examines students' strong responses to a doctoral core course
that sought to initiate them into the competing theoretical,
epistemological, and paradigmatic complexity of contemporary educational
research.

 Commentaries
 What Counts as Credible
Research?<http://www.tcrecord.org/Content.asp?ContentID=15915>
by Annette Lareau & Pamela Barnhouse Walters
It is a critical moment in educational policy. The Obama administration has
renewed emphasis on educational policy and No Child Left Behind is up for
renewal. But in the current debate, there has not been sufficient discussion
of a crucial piece of educational debates: what kinds of research should be
considered to be acceptable? In recent years, randomized-controlled trials
were elevated to the position as the "gold standard" for educational
research. We believe this position to be highly problematic. As the debate
about education begins to pick up speed, it is important to broaden the
definition of legitimate educational research.

 Book Reviews
 Off-Track Profs: Nontenured Teachers in Higher
Education<http://www.tcrecord.org/Content.asp?ContentID=15939>
 by John G. Cross and Edie N. Goldenberg
reviewed by Richard Fossey
------------------------------
 No Longer Separate, Not Yet Equal: Race and Class in Elite College
Admission and Campus Life<http://www.tcrecord.org/Content.asp?ContentID=15940>
 by Thomas J. Espenshade and Alexandria Walton Radford
reviewed by Marybeth Gasman
------------------------------
 Missing: Youth, Citizenship, and Empire after
9/11<http://www.tcrecord.org/Content.asp?ContentID=15941>
 by Sunaina Marr Maira
reviewed by Ibrahim G. Aoudé
   Call for Proposals - NSSE Yearbooks to Join
TCR<http://www.tcrecord.org/Content.asp?ContentID=15422>
by Gary Natriello
The editors of TCR announce a call for proposals for future volumes of the
NSSE Yearbooks.

For Subscribers
 Absent Peers in Elementary Years: The Negative Classroom Effects of
Unexcused Absences on Standardized Testing
Outcomes<http://www.tcrecord.org/Content.asp?ContentID=15935>
by Michael A. Gottfried
 This research examined the effects of classroom peer absences on
student-level standardized test performance in urban elementary schools. The
effects of missing school were proved to be harmful to the individual and
his or her peers.

 When Gender Issues Are Not Just About Women: Reconsidering Male Students at
Historically Black Colleges and
Universities<http://www.tcrecord.org/Content.asp?ContentID=15936>
by Valerie Lundy-Wagner & Marybeth Gasman
 Although the historical and contemporary contributions of historically
Black colleges and universities (HBCUs) to educating college-going African
American students are well documented, such analysis often neglects to
highlight the male student role or perspective. This article presents a
review and critique of past and contemporary HBCU research focusing
explicitly on African American men, with the hope of recentering the
gendered dialogue.