Re: [xmca] (ism) v (ist)

Andy, I also cannot say that I have a firm position on these topics of intersubjectivity and sociocultural theory.  Martin's recent post on ontology as exploring our basic assumptions that are the ground of our theories and what kind of entities we assume exist and in what types of relation is an excellent definition.

Now, why this is more than an intellectual question of cognitive "understanding" is that our basic assumptions inFORM our social practices and construct our cultural historical practices and our identities.

Jay's comment on this topic pointed out that our positions on epistemology and ontology are expressions of our personalities and by observing a person's activities in the world we can understand their underlying ontologies and epistemologies and their personality.

Now I interpret that position as a particular ontological position that posits a person's interpretative stance as the ground or foundation from which emerges our ontologies [basic assumptions].

Andy, ontology "as the science of BEING" I read as Heidegger's particular basic stance towards what is foundational.  Now his discourse was situated in the larger historical tradition of existential phenomenology within Continental Philosophy.
There were and continue to be lively responses within the Continental Philosophy tradition to Heidegger's position.

Martin's psychology department at Duquesne University is in the forefront of continuing to keep alive and "recover" the basic assumptions within the tradition of Continental Philosophy and to make linkages with other traditions. When Martin brings in the writings of Shept [as influenced by continental philosophy discourse] and tries to link Shept's ideas to the ontological assumptions within Vygotsky's tradition I see Martin exploring the basic assumptions that emerged in sociocultural theory as being rooted in the tradition of Continental Philosophy.
Now this process of "recovery" is also inFORMING recent developments in relational, interpersonal and intersubjective psychoanalytic discourse.

Andy, at a more foundational level the perceived differences between intersubjective and sociocultural theories may share a common heritage in Continental Philosophy.  Descartes dualism and the dualism of self/ social or self/other as either 1st person or 3rd person perspectives can viewed from a 2nd person assumption that posits BECOMING [not being] as the communicative interactional process BETWEEN subjectivies from which emerge 1st person and 3rd person accounts.

I would like to recommend a book by Daniel Burston [who works with Martin] and is also bringing Continental Philosophy traditions into current human science.
His book [with Roger Frie, a relational psychoanalyist] is "Psychotherapy as a Human Science" written in 2006.  Their book explicates the ideas of many of the philosophers related to or in tension with the Continental Philosophy Tradition.

>From the human science perspective persons are seen as active agents [volitional] endowed with intentionality and embedded in particular social, cultural, and HISTORICAL contexts. Human science IS communicative science as WE help persons DEVELOP NEW WAYS of being IN the world [not being].

It is Martin's engagement within BOTH cultural historical traditions and Continental Philosophy  traditions that I think offers opportunities for developing new KINDS OF PERSONS and new KINDS OF MORAL WORLDS where we are radically implicated in each others becoming.

The Golden Key Schools idea of PAIR teachers as taking two different "teacher positions" that create new types of development is a specific example of moving these discussions from  philosophical discussions to intersubjective sociocultural practices.  The teacher who takes the position of the "uncertain fallible student" offers possibilities of revisioning the teacher/student institutional interactional patterns. By embracing uncertainty as a shared moral stance and ideal we can hopefully create institutional structures where uncertainty becomes a mutually shared ideal and not only an accomplishment of some brave individual students who are able to "challenge" the dogmatism of the received world view.

Larry