[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[xmca] Chigano, Gypsy, Roma in an international context
- To: "'eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity'" <email@example.com>
- Subject: [xmca] Chigano, Gypsy, Roma in an international context
- From: "Anna Chronaki" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 14:32:21 +0300
- Delivered-to: email@example.com
- In-reply-to: <004e01cad89c$6661be60$33253b20$@edu>
- List-archive: <http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/private/xmca>
- List-help: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=help>
- List-id: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca.weber.ucsd.edu>
- List-post: <mailto:email@example.com>
- List-subscribe: <http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca>, <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=subscribe>
- List-unsubscribe: <http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca>, <mailto:email@example.com?subject=unsubscribe>
- References: <004e01cad89c$6661be60$33253b20$@edu>
- Reply-to: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Sender: email@example.com
- Thread-index: AcrXYirmnMrrt4dV+kCAV9jo4vWh3ABOhmVQAADtxYA=
The last few years part of my research involves studying mathematical
'development' with Gypsy children and I have published some of my work
mainly in European journals or books edited by European editors.
As I try to move on to a more 'international' context I realize that the use
of words such as Chicano, Gypsy or Roma take very different meanings to the
ones I would use at either a local (Greek-Gypsy community) or a European
context. For example in Greece the word 'Gypsy' could, at times and for
some, be insulting and people would rather the word Chicano as a
self-description of who they are. Recent European policies enforce using
Roma as a 'community' term signifying who these people are, and 'inventing'
even a flag (!..) for promoting greater uniformity and group-identity.
I am wondering what is the case in the US. So far, I realize that in the
Americas (North and South) the word chicano refers to Latino people - which
in fact is a different community, or isn't it?
I would appreciate any ideas, clarifications, references concerning the
above use of terms.
University of Thessaly
xmca mailing list