Re: [xmca] (ism) v (ist)

Further to that Larry, I've just been listening to a program on ABC Radio about PCP - Personal Construct Psychology, which the person being interviewed had applied to treating serial killers. :( The idea is that the individual builds a "world" in their own mind and the therapist has to encourage them to accept the idea that there might be other ways of seeing the world and subject their own paradign to critique, very much having the development of natural science as a model for learning. ...

The interviewer asked the expert what was the philosophy underlying PCP and how did it differ from "mainstream" psychology.

The Expert replied that mainstream psychology was just a grab bag of techniques and had no underlying philosophy, and PCP was no different in that.

In the context of the cherry-picking discussion, I found this a bit depressing actually.

Andy

Larry Purss wrote:
I wanted to mention an interesting article just posted to the Teachers College website
[this site is available for only $15.00 a year and all their archived material is able to be accessed. It is one of the best bargains around]
Nancy Lesko has written an article called "The Pedagogy of Monsters: Scary Disturbances in a Doctoral Research Preparation Course"

She is brutally honest about the profound anxiety and vulnerability that doctoral students experience when their basic personal  notions of epistemologies and ontologies are "troubled" and "critiqued"
What I wanted to link this article to is our discussions on the positivist or negative experiences of promoting a stance of novelty, uncertainty, and ambivalence.
Lesko's article captures the profound disruptions and crisis that doctoral programs can precipitate in their graduate students as they consciousy set out to unsettle and challenge all preconceived assumptions.
My attempting to embrace ambiguity and uncertainty is contrasted with this other experience of ambiguity when students don't feel safe and recognized.

I would invite others  consider that school children in public schools may also be feeling the types of vulnerabilities Lesko is documenting in a doctoral research preparation course.
When you read and remember how you felt while attending university [if it was similar to what Lesko documents] it may promote reflection on how necessary it is to "bring children to mind" BEFORE trying to teach knowledge

Larry