[xmca] FW: ScienceDaily: Online interactions have positive effects for real-life communities

Hi All,
This just came out and the summary on this site has a few interesting
statements, particularly this last one:

"To a certain degree, all communities are 'imagined communities' -- that
is, our sense of being part of a community is always something we must
create in ourselves, and it often occurs through media."

I thought this might be of interest to some xmca-ers.... I know that
this last statement is quite a zinger for me. Not so much our sense of
being a part of a community, but that communities are imagined.

~em

Online interactions have positive effects for real-life communities
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/04/100405131730.htm

Online interactions not only have positive outcomes for real-life,
place-based communities, but the intersection between online
communication and the offline world also forms two halves of a support
mechanism for communities, according to a new study.