[xmca] The social and the emotional

David and all,

So I've changed the subject line, and deleted a lot of back messaging on this one. As Mike suggests, go to the archives of "The Interpersonal is not the Sociocultural" for way more context.

I admit to having been a bit unsure how to read your Ahab arguments, David. But I think you are raising some very important questions about the issues of social emotions and moral judgments.

I'd agree that social emotions, in some sense, are primary, just as for higher mental functions there is an already-in-progress community practice which is then internalized and individualized in development. We learn emotions, or we learn how to live emotionally, in the ways that are available and/or sanctioned in our community, by our participation in emotion-laden activities (and I think LSV would say, emotion-generated and -guided activities) with others (and things) in our social life.

That is not to say that emotional life does not build on some phylogenetic capabilities having to do with fight-or-flight, social bonding, swallow-or-spit and other mammalian or pre-mammalian survival functions. Just as intellectual life builds on plenty of mammalian "cognitive" capabilities.

But what I wonder about is how to understand the nature of (a) social emotions in the sense in which ALL emotions are social-interactionally derived and socio-culturally inflected, (b) pro-social emotions such as solidarity, feelings for social justice/fairness, etc., and (c) higher emotions more generally, which are developmentally later, more culture-specific, more fully inseparable from higher mental functioning, but which may or may not all be pro-social in a moral sense (e.g. intellectual curiosity, honor, face, contemplative harmony, indignation, complacency, scorn, alienation ...)?

Your conclusion, below, seems very right about (a) and (b), but is it maybe a little too optimistic or over-generalizing regarding (c)?

JAY.

Jay Lemke
Professor (Adjunct, 2009-2010)
Educational Studies
University of Michigan
Ann Arbor, MI 48109
www.umich.edu/~jaylemke

Visiting Scholar
Laboratory for Comparative Human Cognition
University of California -- San Diego
La Jolla, CA
USA 92093