Re: [xmca] Play and the Owl of Minerva

David,

Generally I consider your readings of T&L to be spot on, on the nail, but this seems to me a bit wide of the mark. If LSV were really only trying to explain how children come to use the type of concepts that are found in classrooms the book would really end with an anticlimax, wouldn't it? He must be hunting for bigger game. "Crisis" contains a pretty worked out philosophy of science, and I can't imagine that LSV didn't consider himself to be a practicing scientist. So just as Piaget turned out to be describing how each child becomes in time a structuralist (what a surprise!), LSV must have been trying to understand how a child learns and develops to become able to know the world as a scientist knows it.

As for meaning, I too find that word a bit misleading (and impossible to translate). What I wanted to suggest is that it's not as though the child starts playing around 2 or 3 but then subsequently has to learn to be a realist and 'grow out of it.' No, they start playing at that age and they keep right on playing until they die. As you've pointed out, early play has an evident imaginary situation and implicit rules, later play has a tacit imaginary situation and explicit rules. Should we not consider that adult play has largely tacit rules and a tacit imaginary situation? The rules become embodied habitus (Bogotanos walk down the street differently than Pittsburghers, much to my confusion), the imaginary situation becomes taken-for-granted second nature. But it is play nonetheless. One big difference between Piaget and LSV, emphasized in chapter 2, is that for Piaget (at least as LSV paints him) logical thinking required being realistic. LSV argues that logical thinking requires imagination. In fantasy play the young child starts to exercise their imagination, and when they become a scientist they need to keep on exercising it.

Martin