From: Andy Blunden <ablunden@mira.net>
Date: Tuesday, March 16, 2010 8:38 pm
Subject: Re: [xmca] Re: Play and the Owl of Minerva
To: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca@weber.ucsd.edu>

> But is Reason not *of* this world, Martin?
>
> Martin Packer wrote:
> > David,
> >
> > I'm sure I'm like all the rest of us. I really, really want to
> believe in the vision of mastery through reason, and the
> capacity of the rational to conquer irrational forces. At the
> same time, there's a little existentialist dancing in the
> background who playfully suggests that it is the irrational
> forces that *give* life its meaning, and that reason often
> squeezes the life out of things. That's just one of my inner
> irrational impulses, I know!
> >
> > Martin
> >
> > On Mar 16, 2010, at 8:13 PM, David Kellogg wrote:
> >
> >> Similarly, I don't think Vygotsky ever prizes volition for
> its own sake; it's always the freedom to produce and to create
> and to imagine "the good life" and to master the irrational
> forces which deprive life of that meaning, including those found
> within the self. It is in that sense that, yes, life is a game:
> it is meaningful through and through and to the very end. Not, I
> think, what the existentialists had in mind!
> >>
> >> David Kellogg
> >> Seoul National University of Education

> --

David & Martin
Rational/irrational antinomy as a figure/ground antinomy.  Sounds like another of Moscovici's social representations that help to organize our cultural stream.
Martin, my sensibility (themata) happens to fall on the irrational as a place of vitality but I grant David's point is equally valid and it is the dialogical opposition that leads to a higher more complex integrated dynamic system/structure (Apollo/dionysius)
However and this to me is a wonder, do we keep the vitality of the irrational in this "higher" system or is it integrated and "tamed" by the rational?
Maybe it is the capacity and developmental achievement of FLUDIDLY MOVING between these ratinal/irrational dialectical tensions that is the "higher" development which brings me back to the notion of "position exchange"
Larry