[xmca] object/objective/motivation for play

Anybody remember the discussion in Montreal* after Eugene spoke of the example of his son wanting to hang out at the mall (for what object/objective/motivation?)?

Now I'm thinking there might be something of Dewey's notion of experience of the aesthetic as that which requires no object/objective/motivation beyond itself.

*My memory is very visual, which is how I know it was Montreal ... I could find that room in the Sheraton right now if I was there. Mike arrived late.