From: Michael Glassman <MGlassman@ehe.osu.edu>
Date: Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 4:59 PM
Subject: RE: [xmca] Education: Reaching the poorest
To: lchcmike@gmail.com

Mike,

Your comment about enculturation really made me think.  What is the purpose
of education, is it enculturation or is it progress.  Do we teach (and
learn) in order to become part of a community so that we are better able to
work together to solve problems, or do we teach and learn so those who are
part of our community will be able to recognize dangers and opportunities
when they occur and develop plans that often run counter to traditions and
established culture in order to solve them.  On one day I think it is
enculturation and on another day I think it is progress.

Of course it is both, but I am left struggling to figure out how it is both.
 It is certainly not a duality, because when it is a duality the two so
often appear to be diametrically opposed (conservativism vs. progressivism?)
  But of course they can't be because they are both so necessary in the
evolutionary scheme you suggest.  And yet it seems the two are always at
odds with each other, and it has been a source of tension it seems in
conceptualizations of education as long as I can remember.

Maybe less complex was the wrong word for Appalachia and India, perhaps a
better explanation is more visceral, and an acceptance of that visceral
nature of education without believing there is anything wrong about it.  The
reason I am thinking so much about the Appalachian issue is that we are
going through transcripts of focus groups we did within a community with
Appalachian roots and a very middle class, suburban community.  What is
striking about the Appalachian community is the degree to which they know
exactly what they want from the schools (and feel that in many cases a
central educational bureacracy will not give it to them) - a place for their
child to feel safe, not in the hiding sense but so that they have a sense of
belonging, and are able to take that sense of belonging out in to their
local community.  The more I think about it the more they are talking about
a feeling, a sense of communal well being that would be difficult to measure
in the tradiitonal sense.  When the subject of tests came up they became
angry and annoyed and saw them as something of a distraction.  I had not
thought about school being a place where year learn community by being part
of the community before, but if not in school then where?  (Sometimes we
leave this aspect of education to things like religious communities).  The
middle class suburban focus groups were more what you would expect them to
be, safety mean keeping people who would do harm out (to the point where the
schools become enclosed camps where even parents are not welcome) and the
most important thing is tests.

I guess I don't have as strong a sense of India because this comes from
reading other people, secondary observations I guess.  But education in many
of the small villages also seems kind of visceral, especially among the most
oppressed members of the community - the women.  People who are that
oppressed know that they are that oppressed and what they want is education
that will get them out of this situation.  In these communities much of the
critical education occurs within in non-governmental orginzations or
community based organizations.  But the reasons for their goals are very
immediate, and the barriers to reaching those goals are very immediate and
transparent as well.  A woman who is beaten by her husband or burned because
he dowry was not big enough knows she wants to change because of the obvious
misey of her life.  She also might want her daughter to escape this everyday
drudgery.  Two things stand in the way - she knows the power that the larger
traditions have over both their lives and that when outsiders have come in
it has not been for good, and as selfish as it might seem, she might need
her daughter's help to survive in just everyday life - so both mother and
daughter hold back from education, not on a rational level - well yes, on a
rational level, but on a rational level that is more visceral than we
normally think about it.  Successful education is about going in and meeting
these immediate, transparent, visceral goals (e.g. building a school within
walking distance) that these women know at a very deep level.

For kids on the South Side of Chicago as you say things are really
different.  I think they have visceral goals that they want to meet, much
the same as the Appalachian community, that they want this strong community
that they can trust - but these types of goals are dismissed.  The people on
the South Side of Chicago are told over and over again that there is really
only one avenue to socially acceptable success - you must do well on
standardized tests, you must incorporate the cultural capital of the larger
society, you must get in to college - and most confusing you must leave
behind your community.  It is, as you say, a race to the top where only a
few will make it out.  The others will be left behind.  One of the reasons I
have so much trouble with Teach for America is that it completely reinforces
this narrative.  The people in the neighborhoods of Chicago have needs just
as visceral and just as immediate as the women in the villages in India, but
they come to believe that these local goals are actually detrimental to
making it, will take you further away from success in mainstream society,
that your will be labeled an outcast or even a criminal.  A great example is
the way ACORN is treated in our society.  Perfect example of local goals, an
uneven but very sincere organization that is really tapped in to local needs
and goals.  And they are labeled as criminals!!  No, the only goals that you
can have are those that are determiend and acceptable by the larger society.
 This makes both recognition and use of true goals that will engage the
majority of youth I think so much more abstract, and so much more difficult
than you might find in the Appalachian community above or the mythic Indian
village I described.

This makes me think about how Teach for America might actually work.  Take
the kids from Harvard and Princeton and instead of putting them directly
into the classroom, have them work with ACORN or some CBO for two years and
then put them in to the classroom in that community.  A way to combine the
belief systems of the larger society with the community goals and needs that
will engage both students and their parents.

Okay, this went on way too long and is way to rambling and if you read this
far I thank you.

Michael