From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu] On
Behalf Of Steve Gabosch
Sent: Thursday, January 14, 2010 7:20 AM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: Re: [xmca] The Human Spark: And Human Disaster (Earthquake in
Haiti)

Below is an article from Associated Press which begins to reveal the
extent that the current disaster in Haiti is predominately a
**social** disaster.  It is possible, according to the article, that
**500,000** Haitians will die, more than from any so-called "natural"
disaster in human history.  This article points to some of the
**social** causes of this unimaginable catastrophe.

- Steve

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Why Haiti is always in a state of despair
By Seth Borenstein

The Associated Press

When it comes to natural disasters, Haiti seems to have a bull's-eye
on it. That's because of a killer combination of geography, poverty,
social problems, slipshod building standards and bad luck, experts say.

The list of catastrophes is mind-numbing: This week's devastating
earthquake. Four tropical storms or hurricanes that killed about 800
people in 2008. Killer storms in 2005 and 2004. Floods in 2007, 2006,
2003 (twice) and 2002. And that's only the 21st century rundown.

"If you want to put the worst-case scenario together in the Western
Hemisphere [for disasters], it's Haiti," said Richard Olson, a Florida
International University professor who directs the Disaster Risk
Reduction in the Americas project.

"There's a whole bunch of things working against Haiti," he said. "One
is the hurricane track. The second is tectonics. Then you have the
environmental degradation and the poverty."

This is the 15th disaster since 2001 in which the U.S. Agency for
International Development has sent money and help to Haiti. Some 3,000
people have been killed and millions of people displaced in disasters
that preceded this week's earthquake. The U.S. has sent more than $16
million in disaster aid to Haiti since the turn of the century.

Reeling from hurricanes

While causes of individual disasters are natural, heart-tugging social
ills make Haiti a constant site of catastrophe, disaster experts say.
It starts with poverty, includes deforestation, unstable governments,
poor building standards, low literacy rates and then comes back to
poverty.

The quake this week comes as Haiti is trying to recover from 2008,
when it was hit four times by tropical storms and hurricanes, said
Kathleen Tierney, director of the University of Colorado's Natural
Hazard Center.

And while bad luck is involved, former top Federal Emergency
Management Agency official Mark Merritt, president of the disaster
consulting firm James Lee Witt Associates, said, "It's an economic
issue. It's one of those things that feeds on each other."

Every factor that disaster experts look for in terms of vulnerability
is the worst it can be for Haiti, said Dennis Mileti, a seismic safety
commissioner for the state of California and author of the book
"Disasters by Design."

Add high population density in the capital, many of them rural
migrants who now live in shantytowns throughout Port-au-Prince.

"It doesn't get any worse," said Mileti, a retired University of
Colorado professor. "I fear this may go down in history as the largest
disaster ever, or pretty close to it."

While nobody knows the death toll, a leading senator, Youri Latortue,
said as many as 500,000 could be dead. The deadliest quakes on record:
the 2004 Asian tsunami that killed more than 227,000 and a 1976
earthquake in China that killed 255,000, according to the U.S.
Geological Survey.

"Whether it comes in as No. 1, No. 2 or No. 3, only time will tell,"
Mileti said. "This is a major cataclysm."

Lack of care a concern

Vulnerability to natural disasters is almost a direct function of
poverty, said Debarati Guha Sapir, director of the World Health
Organization's Centre for Research on the Epidemiology of Disasters.

"Impacts are not natural, nor is there a divine hand or ill fate,"
Sapir said. "People will also die now of lack of follow-up medical
care. In other words, those who survived the quake may not survive for
long due to the lack of adequate medical care."

University of South Carolina's Susan Cutter, who maps out social
vulnerability to disaster by county in the United States, said Haiti's
poverty makes smaller disasters worse.

"It's because they're so vulnerable, any event tips the balance," said
Cutter, director of the school's Hazards and Vulnerability Research
Institute. "They don't have the kind of resiliency that other nations
have. It doesn't take much to tip the balance."

One problem is the poor quality of buildings, Merritt said. Haiti
doesn't have building codes. Even if it did, people who make on
average $2 a day can't afford to build something that can withstand
earthquakes and hurricanes, he said. Poverty often is a major reason
for poor infrastructure, Tierney said.

Then there's deforestation, which causes erosion and worsens flooding.
Haiti leads the Western Hemisphere in tree-clearing, mostly for
cooking because of the poverty, Merritt said.

Another problem is the inability to prepare for and cope with
disaster, said Merritt, who last fall started work to help train
Haitians to prepare for disasters, including creating emergency-
response teams in a country that only has a couple of fire stations.
It involved Haiti's small-disaster bureau, the United Nations, Red
Cross and other relief agencies and governments. Training manuals
still were being translated from English to Creole when the quake hit,
he said.

"If you look at neighboring Cuba, they have a very good emergency
management infrastructure," Tierney said. "That's partly because of
the way they organize the country from the block upward."

Another issue: Haiti has focused on hurricanes because quakes have
been rare.

Until about a decade ago, scientists believed the north coast of
Hispaniola, shared by Haiti and the Dominican Republic, was more prone
to earthquakes. But work by Tim Dixon of the University of Miami found
the southern fault zone, where Tuesday's quake occurred, was equally
likely to produce temblors.

Scientists have known about the seismic threat for a while, but Dixon
said that doesn't help the Haitian government, which lacks the
resources to quake-proof buildings and structures.

"This was not that huge of an earthquake, but there's been a lot of
damage," he said. "It's the tragedy of a natural disaster superimposed
on a poor country."

Stark differences

The Dominican Republic, relatively richer and more stable than Haiti,
provides a good contrast when it comes to catastrophes, experts said.

Buildings in the Dominican Republic are stronger and withstand
disaster better, Merritt said.

The damage to Haiti is so devastating, so extensive that it offers a
sense of hope in rebuilding, the experts said. Past disasters,
including Hurricane Katrina, show it is easier to put up new buildings
than rebuild damaged ones, one reason why the wiped-clear Mississippi
coast came back faster than New Orleans, Merritt said.

After the killer 1976 earthquake in Guatemala, houses were rebuilt
with less vulnerable, lighter roofs and the entire region was designed
to be less disaster prone, Florida International's Olson said.

"Catastrophic disasters open a window of opportunity to fundamentally
change how cities are rebuilt," Olson said. "If it's rebuilt in the
same fashion [as it is now], our children are going to have this same
conversation."

Copyright C The Seattle Times