Re: [xmca] Jane Addams, Dewey, and the (Hegelian) dialectic -

Well, if Addams was right, and what I've heard of her position sounds pretty sensible to me, then what we need to deal with is the fact that you can't get issues of emotion and personal/group identity out of debates about anything that matters to us.

And it is wrong to try to do so. For me this is the big point, and the big change from our cultural-intellectual-academic tradition. There is no possibility of Reason without Feeling, of Facts without Values. I know historically why there was an effort to create this impossible discourse, but I think we now know better.

So we need to find ways to embrace and include and somehow "mature" or en-wise (as in wise-dom) the ways in which our feelings, identities, commitments, and values permeate our ways of judging truth and finding paths of right-enough action. And we are not really well-prepared culturally to do that. We come off of 300 or 400 years of trying to do just the opposite. We have elaborate disciplines, discourses, formal logics, and institutions all premised on a fundamental error: trying to exclude feeling from judgment.

Antagonisms are very real. What is not real is our way of thinking about their origins, our ways of construing their significance. We imagine that they arise from objective conflicts of interest, or from personal animosity. But conflicts of interest are never purely objective, and animus is not so much against persons as they are as it is against persons as we need to imagine them to be. With perhaps a few extreme exceptions, but in most regards the interweaving of social being, material conditions, and felt meaningfulness is far more tight and complex than our tradition wishes to acknowledge.

We've still got a lot of growing up to do.

JAY.

Jay Lemke
Professor (Adjunct, 2009-2010)
Educational Studies
University of Michigan
Ann Arbor, MI 48109
www.umich.edu/~jaylemke

Visiting Scholar
Laboratory for Comparative Human Communication
University of California -- San Diego
La Jolla, CA
USA 92093