Re: [xmca] Jane Addams, Dewey, and the (Hegelian) dialectic -

Greg, you wrote:

"It is a scary
thought to imagine my children being taught things that I know
are wrong (whether by reason or by faith), but I think that my
role as a parent includes educating my children to think
critically (and if critical thinking were truly the core value
of education, then wrong things would last long in the
schools). "

My sentiments exactly about how fast the non-scientific evidence of
"global warming" was ushered into the realm of scientific teaching in the
public schools!  When the high school had there day long "global warming"
fest and showed Gore's propoganda I decided my son could stay home from
school and write a report on the evidence that sun spots have long
affected the earth's climate.

I'd be happy to have a dialogue about difficult issues but in the sterile
environment of e-mail it is very difficult because people's intentions are
misconstrued and very often it is assumed that someone taking an opposite
viewpoint may be doing so merely to be oppositional.

Academia has long been about what the professor wants to hear.  First
english literature class I ever took I got a C only because I infused my
own opinions into the assignments.  Next lit class I learned to speak to
what the professor wanted and sure enough the grade reflected my change in
"attitude".  Of course I am extrapolating and know there are quality
professors in the academic world who pursue critical thinking in their
students.

Science isn't supposed to be about opinion but as Bruno Latour has long
expoused it certainly is constructivist in nature.

eric