Roth, W.-M., & Thom, J. (2009). Bodily experience and mathematical conceptions: From classical views to a phenomenological reconceptualization. Educational Studies in Mathematics, 70, 175–189.

(we use "conception" to refer to the concrete realization of a concept by a person)

Michael

On 2009-10-27, at 8:16 AM, ERIC.RAMBERG@spps.org wrote:

Hello all:

Recent discussions have caused me to ponder the "concept of concept". It
is not merely a property that something posseses; for water certainly
contains hydrogen and oxygen regardless of whether it is labeled as such.
However; if I am learning about water than I am provided the opportunity
to observe and experiment with the properties water exhibits/ contains. At zero degrees celsius the water freezes, at one hundred degrees celsius it boils. Again these are properties but as I am learning about them do they
become concepts?  That liquids freeze and boil.  Is answering these
questions on a science quiz enough to claim a student can conceptualize
boiling and freezing? I believe LSV would answer no. So then back to the
blocks experiment and what precisely was LSV proposing about the
development of concepts?

eric