Re: [xmca] schools kill creativity?

Yes, David. The media here has been very clear that Brasil has always been the ovious choice, for the reasons you mentioned.

This past summer has been marked by whites at rallies they call "Tea Parties," and at "Town Hall" meetings convened by Congress members, wailing "I want my country back!" -- suggesting they think somebody has taken "their" country away from them now that Obama is President. "Tea Party" refers to a pre-revolutionary event that decried "taxation without representation." These people seem to think that the principle of representation has been denied even though large majorities elected the current Congress and the President.

Those who blame Obama for not bringing the Olympics to Chicago might be moaning "I want my planet back." The planet that they feel they're losing is the one reflected in the facts that you recite. I was thinking: If you draw a perimeter around Australia, China, Japan, Russia, Scandanavia, US & Canada, France, Italy, Greece, and back to Australia, I think ALL olympics have been held within that perimeter. That is pretty much the whole world, right?

Not only Sounth America, but also Africa, the Middle East, Western, South, and Southeast Asia are not included. But how much of the world is in those regions?

People who have not been in the USA might not be able to imagine how insular a view of the world is common here.

My own faulty perspective became clear to me on my recent trip to Cape Town. When I booked the ticket, I was surprised to see the scheduled flight times so much longer than from Philadelphia to Finland, and even longer than Philadelphia to Shanghai. I explained my surprise by thinking that I am not accustomed to counting North-South distances in my estimation, since my travel has been mostly East-West.

Another thing that seemed odd to me was that the flight time scheduled for Dakar to Johannesburg was longer than from Wash DC to Dakar. I thought there might be some reason for scheduling that way even though the Dakar to Jo'burg had to be the shorter leg. It was not until after I had actually flown the trip both ways that I realized that Dakar to Jo'burg really is the longer distance.

Only after I got back did I realize: Africa is BIG! and we don't see that partly because of how we do our maps of the world. There's a very widely recognized distortion in the 2-dimensional projections that are used in our familiar maps of the world, on which Africa appears smaller than Greenland.

So there's nothing unusual about my distorted perspective. What makes it more remarkably astonishing, though, is that for fifteen years I have been teaching an undergraduate course on elementary school social studies, and every year I have conducted at least one class session in which we look at globes and the alternative projections, and reflect on the impressions and distortions that result.

So this is something I've been teaching for fifteen years, but it did not sink in to me until I actually lived through those distances, experiencing those distances in hours in the air.