Re: [xmca] Consciousness, Piaget

Yes, Martin, that's the basic idea.

I should add that this is a topic for Deely, derived (soundly, I think) from Peirce, and not something Peirce himself addressed (as far as I know). I think Deely uses "consciousness" rather than "awareness," but I avoided "consciousness" b/c of its circularity in our present context.

I expect that Deely's soon-to-appear "Purely Objective Reality"
www.amazon.com/Objective-Reality-Semiotics-Communication-Cognition/dp/1934078077/
will have a lot to say about this. (For him, unicorns would exemplify purely objective reality, having their reality only as objects of our signification.) This returns to late-Latin usage, related to "relatio secundum dici," vs. "relatio secundum esse."