Re: [xmca] Vygotsky, Suzuki, and Carl Orff

Many years ago I was intrigued about what Suzuki's underlying philosophy was, so I managed to track down two books by him which were not strictly confined to musical training. All he could talk about was his Japanese Buddhist views. He seemed to understand himself to have derived his musical education ideas directly from Zen. He had not a word to say about epistemology, psychology, ontology or any of the other ologies I was looking for at the time.

Andy

Elia Nelson wrote:
David,

Thanks for expanding on my off-the-cuff response.  I'll freely admit that I
am not particularly familiar with Suzuki's theory, only his methods as I've
seen them widely applied in the States.

Do you have a reference to Suzuki on personal tutelage as in your point
(b)?  I'm curious about the connections between this personalism and the (as
noted in my previous post) emphasis on the part of Suzuki-method teachers on
group lessons and parent involvement.

Thanks,
Elia

Elia J. Nelson, nelsoe3@rpi.edu