[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [xmca] Consciousness, Piaget
- To: email@example.com, "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Subject: Re: [xmca] Consciousness, Piaget
- From: Andy Blunden <email@example.com>
- Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 11:04:59 +1000
- Delivered-to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- In-reply-to: <email@example.com>
- List-archive: <http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/private/xmca>
- List-help: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=help>
- List-id: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca.weber.ucsd.edu>
- List-post: <mailto:email@example.com>
- List-subscribe: <http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca>, <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=subscribe>
- List-unsubscribe: <http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca>, <mailto:email@example.com?subject=unsubscribe>
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <5D044212-FC18-47CC-AC58-02C1C8B266D1@me.com> <email@example.com>
- Reply-to: firstname.lastname@example.org, "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <email@example.com>
- Sender: firstname.lastname@example.org
- User-agent: Thunderbird 220.127.116.11 (Windows/20080421)
Mike Cole wrote:
One of these is her suggestion that a concept is " a word or other signifier
WITH ITS DISCURSIVE USE (my emphasis). That complicates identifying words
and concepts and moves us toward a Wittgensteinian notion of word meaning.
My take is that a concept is a word (or phrase or other
symbol) + the actions in which it is realized, so it is
constantly re-instantiated every time a word is used. The
artifact is just the universal. A concept is not real or
alive until the universal is identified with particular
actions by individuals. Think of the Rossetta stone. Under
what circumstances were those hieroglyphs concepts?
Peirce had things to say about this.
I also think that reading the Davydov materials posted by Andy is important
because VVD was quite critical of Vygotsky's notion of concept.
Indeed, this discussion is extremely important. Give me
another 24 hours. ...
xmca mailing list