From: martine courant rife <courantm@msu.edu>
Date: Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 6:04 PM
Subject: [Air-L] call for manuscripts > copyright> Computers and
Composition special issue
To: Association of Teachers of Technical Writing
<attw-l@lyris.ttu.edu>, techrhet@interversity.org,
cptsc@lists.unomaha.edu, air-l@listserv.aoir.org, WPA-L@asu.edu, CCCC
IP Caucus <Discuss@ccccip.org>,
PIJIP-COPYRIGHT@roster.wcl.american.edu, H-DIGIRHET@h-net.msu.edu

A reminder . . .

All-

I've included below and provided a link to a call for manuscripts for
a special issue of Computers and Composition (scheduled as volume 27
issue 3, September 2010) on Copyright, Culture, Creativity, and the
Commons.

https://www.msu.edu/~courantm/CFP_CC_copyright.pdf

Please do feel free to send questions to or run ideas by any of the
four of us guest editing the special issue. (Our contact info appears
below and in the call.)

Danielle Nicole DeVoss, Martine Courant Rife, Steve Westbrook, and John Logie

CALL FOR MANUSCRIPTS

special issue of Computers and Composition, volume 27 issue 3,
September 2010 Copyright, Culture, Creativity, and the Commons

In 1998, Computers and Composition and Kairos both published special
issues related to intellectual property. Much has changed in the 11
years since those special issues, including new legislation, proposed
legislation, and the rise and fall of file-sharing spaces like Napster
and Kazaa. Further, issues not addressed in the earlier special issue
require the attention of computers and writing scholars, including
global and international issues related to intellectual property,
feminist and ecofeminist research in intellectual property, and issues
of cultural cannibalism and intellectual commons. This special issue
will attend to these—and other—issues, with a particular focus on the
cultural consequences of our expanded sense of what counts as
“property” in digital spaces.

Questions we invite authors to consider and respond to include, but
are not limited to:

* Where are the significant intersections between intellectual
property and computers and composition? What intersections have thus
far remained invisible or buried?

* What significant changes have occurred in U.S. copyright law in the
past 15 years? In international copyright law, policies, and
approaches?

* What global, international, or cross-cultural intellectual property
issues should we be attentive to?

* How might our understandings of “the commons,” the concept of shared
or “community-owned knowledge,” and the notion of “cultural
appropriation” contribute to conversations on copyright and/or
intellectual property?

* What are some of the ways in which feminist/ecofeminist scholarship
in intellectual property, and understandings of sustainability can
inform or extend our approaches to intellectual property?

* What are some of the ways in which cultural rhetorics scholarship in
intellectual property can inform or extend our approaches to
intellectual property? For example, is there a connection between
racism and the commodification of culture via intellectual  property
regimes? A connection with sexism? Where are the intersections between
discourses of race and/or gender and intellectual property-related
discourse?

* Are there better vocabularies, terms, and theories for us to drawn
upon to situate and study “intellectual property?” Is it possible to
recognize and/or attribute “intellectual property” in places other
than formal legal regimes?

* How have intellectual property issues become more immediate with
regard to the continual growth of and use for digital writing spaces?
New media texts?

* In what ways can our long history of analyzing authorship and
ownership of texts, including our discussions on issues of plagiarism
and attribution, contribute to how we approach intellectual property
issues? In what was does this long history perhaps submerge issues we
might be discussing?

* In what ways can writing instructors and researchers enter into
public discussions about intellectual property?

The special issue will consist of: 1) a special issue editors’
introduction, which will provide some historical, legal, and
philosophical context; 2) approximately 6–7 articles addressing issues
of intellectual property, focusing on those issues that have arisen
since the 1998 special issues; and 3) a roundtable-style-discussion
piece capturing the interactions of key figures in intellectual
property scholarship within and beyond computers and writing (e.g.,
Jim Porter, Ty Herrington, Jessica Reyman, Jessica Litman, Kembrew
McLeod, Siva Vaidhyanathan, Rebecca Moore Howard, Vandana Shiva,
Johndan Johnson-Eilola, and Peter Yu).

Deadline for manuscripts: September 15, 2009 (response by November 15)
Deadline for final manuscripts: January 15, 2010

Please direct questions and email manuscripts to the special issue editors:

Martine Courant Rife
Lansing Community College
martinerife@gmail.com

Steve Westbrook