Re: [xmca] Message in a Bottle

Hi Bruce,

In another thread David Kg makes an interesting point about how one has to to stop driving an automobile to repair a mechanical problem, but one has to continue having a conversation to fix a misunderstanding. He suggests that this is the essential difference between talking to a chatbot, and two people engaging in voluntary conversation.

David then relates this point to discourse analysis (and discursive analysis, discussed in the Friesen article):

"This is actually how conversation analysis really works. We start from the premise that the tools for understanding and misunderstanding and fixing the misunderstanding are all right there in the conversation ... "

These insights may shed a little light on your experience, Bruce, that programming chatbots revealed that "users can be remarkably cruel, always looking for something that would cause the program to crash or give a silly answer..."

If the user can cause the conversation to break down in some way (logically or mechanically) and can therefore prove that the chatbot program is helpless to fix the problem, then hail to real people who can actually carry on a real conversation and fix them as they go! So chalk one up for the human being versus the machine! And although perhaps not consciously, score a point of protest against the social relationships this contention represents, the owners of these machines versus those that are exploited by them ...

Which is to say, commiserating with your experience, that trying to create such programs under these conditions and tensions is probably not always fun and games. Sharp frustrations can emerge.

Turning to your discussion of ever-repeated arguments "in which claims are made for ... [AI devices such as chat-bots] being human-like ... which are then repudiated by others, both referring to abstract models of what it is to be human," I find myself thinking about Marx's analysis, often referred to in CHAT theory, about social relations in modern class-divided society appearing as relations between things.

The more perplexed they get about what it is to be human, and why society has the kinds of social relations it does, the more at least some people seem to turn to their **relations with objects** to try to make sense of human affairs.

This is done first of all by trying to construct, and theorize about, AI devices, and other kinds of "intelligent" machines. And many also seem to appreciate building such things in **fiction**. It has been the norm for a while now for science fiction to explore extreme possibilities of computer programs. The Terminator and Matrix series are two examples.

Interestingly, there are at least a half a dozen books in print with essays analyzing the philosophical implications of the Matrix movies, some finding their way into philosophy courses, I understand. This is part of a whole emerging genre of intellectual essays aimed at the general reader analyzing works in popular culture. Fans are looking for and finding serious discussions of their favorite works. This can be seen all over the internet, on Amazon.com, etc.

One of these essays I read a couple years ago made an interesting parallel between the Matrix program, which orchestrated a collective illusion of a common human "reality" while humans unknowingly slept in isolated compartments (in a world dominated by machines that were disgusted by humans) ... and Kant's view of phenomenon (that which is perceived through the senses) versus noumenon (that which is objectively existing), the latter which Kant denied as being directly accessible to humans. The Matrix movies do indeed provide an interesting twist on how to look at reality that makes one think ...

So it has become a kind of cultural norm in the US, UK, and other countries to take serious looks at fanciful computer-like objects, and through them, try to understand human life. Long before supercomputers began beating the best human chess players (Deep Blue versus Kasparov in 1997, Deep Fritz versus Kramnik in 2006), people had been primed with the idea of computers being "smarter" than people. You might have a chess program on your computer right now that can beat you and anyone you know! So what? most would today say as they yawned ... it was just a matter of time ...

But underneath that sentiment, which on one hand may reflect an unbounded optimism for human inventiveness, on the other hand may harbor a sense of defeatism. In this defeatist view, this social system, which turns and replaces relations between humans into relations with things, is going to be around for a very, very long time. Maybe not just human relations but human beings themselves, chess masters and all, will be eventually replaced by computers. In fact, there are probably no few people in the world today who are out looking for work - or are worried they will soon have to - that may feel this is already well under way! ...

In a sense, David's definition of a human conversation as being by nature mutually voluntary has a parallel to one of Marx's greatest concepts, that the task of the emancipation of the working class is a task for the workers themselves. Just as only a human can fix a conversation while having it, only the workers can fix their own future - and still have one. Although they keep telling us we can't, humanity actually can have its cake, and eat it, too. Or at least, it can bake new cakes - real ones that are truly noumenal and really phenomenal :-)) - while consuming the old ones. And in doing so, I believe we shall master our computers, and finally be done with the silly notion that computers - and other social classes - can master us.

Cheers,
- Steve