Re: [xmca] Friesen Article: question on kinds of talk analysis

David, your bottle message from Katie is a wonderful thing to compare with a computer program. And your insights into Katie's message add much to appreciating and thinking about it.

It seems at first sight that Katie's bottle message and a computer program have virtually nothing in common.

For example, computer programs generally reveal little personal information about their authors, if they are named at all, unlike this message from Katie, which tells us many personal things about a girl and her friends in a few sentences.

Or another example, messages in bottles don't have a way of interacting with their recipients or giving the recipients further interactions with the author, unlike computer programs, which usually have multitudes of ways to elicit interaction from the recipient with more messages and processes programmed by the authors.

Yet there must be something that is fundamentally shared between these forms of "communication," (whatever "communication" is, exactly). There must be some place or way we can start so as to see them in a common general framework, as part of a general system or group of systems.

Bringing this back to my question about talk analysis, a simplistic way to formulate the challenge might be to say that what is needed is a theory and analytical toolbox that can ably describe and analyze all human communication scenarios and dynamics - such as writing and reading wine bottle messages, writing and interacting with computer programs, everyday conversations, etc.

Clearly, in regard to this challenge, many theories and tools have been developing in recent decades. One question I am asking is how to make sense of the many different approaches that have emerged.

Here is another question. In cultural-historical activity theory, we start with the subject, the mediational means (in the broader sense), and the object of a given activity, action or operation, and then try to derive the motives, goals and/or conditions. Katie's bottle message might be interesting to look at from this approach.

Has anyone attempted to use this approach as a starting point to develop (or explain) a particular theory and practice of discourse analysis?

- Steve