To: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca@weber.ucsd.edu>
Sent: Saturday, May 09, 2009 12:35 PM
Subject: Re: [xmca] Kindergarten Cram: When is play?

Associational chains, whether they occur to us naturally or are just a
mode of linking meanings that gets out of control as the text-scales
get longer, sure can take us on a Grand Tour!  from no time for play
in early childhood schooling, to the excesses and illusions of
testing, to demanding essay tasks in (Confucian) testing vs.
deskilling ones in NCLB (the routinization of the 5-paragraph
"essay"), to how to think about writing and written language as higher-
order, developmentally late processes in relation to inner and outer
speech, materiality, contextualization, etc.

Whew!

I'm not sure how to organize my reactions, so I won't particularly
try. Here they are. Organize them yourself!

Convergent evolution in examinations. The same surface phenomena can
evolve historically as they can biologically in quite different
lineages for quite different reasons. Confucian examinations and
modern essay testing look a bit alike at some level of abstraction,
but I think that in terms of their historical specificity and
functions, they are really quite different. So I think David is
probably right that the Confucian meritocratic system does not have
much to do with modern school testing, though it may envelope the
latter in a certain cultural web of supportive feelings about
importance, honour, upward mobility, etc.

But what's so great, or hard about writing, anyway? that we should
consider it the most reliable index of knowledge and understanding, or
even of the habitus by which one succeeds in academia or elsewhere in
the wider "Knowledge Society"?

David adduces and modifies a  bit, LSV's original arguments about
written language. I think LSV got a lot of this right, but not all of
it. Written language is really different from spoken, does require a
higher level (i.e. a successor level building on the first) of
"abstract" functioning -- though what "abstract" really means here, as
Mike points out in his questions, and David tries to explicate and
complicate, is problematic. LSV is trying in part to articulate
relationships among 3 modes of language: written, spoken, and 'inner
speech'. The kinds of "abstraction" that distinguish W from S, and S
from IS, however are not quite the same, and we can emphasize their
similarities or their differences. I think this leads to a large space
of possible and actual confusion.

What LSV is most wrong about, IMHO, is in accepting the universally
accepted view of his times that written language is a more highly
developed or more completely expressive (i.e. explicitizing) variety
than spoken. With tape recorders we have learned differently. Spoken
language, in situ, with interlocutors, is vastly more complex and
richer in meaning possibilities and actualities, than written
language. Written language is a specialized form, limited in what it
can say and do by the conventions it requires in order to overcome
everything that is normally missing from the full, natural
communication system of spoken language (which is not just language,
an artificial unit of analysis -- it is the unified system of speech,
gesture, posture, and many aspects of action generally).

 Written language has been overvalued for many reasons, mostly
ideological. Its association with Sacred Texts, first and foremost
(Torah, Gospels, Quran, Vedas, Confucian classics, etc.). Later in the
European tradition with not just the Second Canon (Aristotle, etc.)
but with the Protestant emphasis on individual reading and
interpretation of the Bible (degenerating into fundamentalist
literalism, alas), and descending from that (as David Olson notes) a
close association between written text and hermeneutic reasoning,
which more or less becomes scientific reasoning eventually. Most of
the arguments that mastering written language grounds our higher
reasoning skills go wrong by not seeing that it is really the
juxtaposition of written vs. spoken language that leads to the
insights about language and reasoning that they attribute to written
mastery alone. (And inner speech probably plays some key role in all
that, too, as LSV seems to be struggling to to find a way to piece all
this together.)

So to come back to education and testing, the gold standard of
assessment of how well someone understands something is not how
beautiful an essay they can write about it, but how well they do in an
extended conversational oral examination in some concrete setting with
the relevant situation or stuff at hand.

JAY.

Jay Lemke
Professor
Educational Studies