Re: [xmca] Bahktin question

thank you David:

Here is my thinking.  It germinated as a result of your post pertaining to
the word 'free' and the question about conceptualizing math.

First off, let me ask you to enter an imagination of waking one day and
losing the memory of your role, the names and roles those you associate
with but you retain knowledge of language and the function of language.
Disorienting?  Yes, indeed!  Of course literature uses this juxtaposition
numerous times to the benefit of the audience learning to look at the
world through naive (perhaps not the right word) eyes.  But due to
chronotopes the naive person can navigate social settings somewhat
competently.  However, free of prejudices and emotional baggage that
people carry about, this naive individual has the freedom to impact what
is essentially preconceived notions.  In essence I am trying to say that a
chronotope can expand or constrict a person's conceptual understanding.

This is not a chronotope but when David Kirshner used the explanation of
N=-1 and an odd number of Ns results in a negative and an even number of
Ns results in an even, I need no further explanation, that rule applies to
my conceptual understanding.  Much is the same for dialogues that happen
in time and space, for most adults few words are needed when understanding
our roles and the duties (wrong word?) expected of us in those particular
chronotopes.

Yes, Vygotsky does not define development but I believe that is on purpose
because it is an undefinable concept.  It means different things depending
on the time and place.  I like your pumpkin analogy : )  I agree David
that Wittgenstein is probably the closest in providing a glimpse into how
people conceptualize and socialize.

Perhaps this is too rambling and disorienting to make sense but I am
always one to dangle my participle.

what do others think?
eric

David Kellogg <vaughndogblack@yahoo.com>
Sent by: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu
05/04/2009 06:50 PM
Please respond to "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity"