From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of Ng Foo Keong
Sent: Thursday, April 30, 2009 10:15 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: Re: [xmca] a minus times a plus

David:

what do you think of using coloured discs/chips (two colours) or coins?
unlike N or P which can be arranged only linearly, you can arrange
coloured chips in a straight line or in an array.

3 × (-2) means 3 times (3 rows of) two red chips.

[if you start off with pairs of red-blue pairs (equivalent to 0),
you can put blue on top of the red, but it doesn't matter]

-2 × 3 means twice take away 3 blue chips, or take away 2 rows of
3 blue chips, leaving you with 2 rows of 3 red chips.

by rotating the array of chips 90 degrees, you can see that that
is equivalent to 3 rows of 2 red chips.

F.K.