RE: [xmca] The national context for education funding in the US

I sure wish I could go this year, but our funding is down to nil and I'm already paying out of pocket for PTO in May....I look forward to the hearing all about the panel discussion!

Mike, Re UCSD... for fun I looked up the word 'academic' in the free dictionary (my favorite online - they borrow from everyone)... there are some interesting definitions of academic that may explain your senate committees viewpoints. Still... SL seems to be a hot ticket item at other research universities...
~em

ac·a·dem·ic (k-dmk)
adj.
1. Of, relating to, or characteristic of a school, especially one of higher learning.
2.
a. Relating to studies that are liberal or classical rather than technical or vocational.
b. Relating to scholarly performance: a student's academic average.
3. Of or belonging to a scholarly organization.
4. Scholarly to the point of being unaware of the outside world. See Synonyms at pedantic.
5. Based on formal education.
6. Formalistic or conventional.
7. Theoretical or speculative without a practical purpose or intention. See Synonyms at theoretical.
8. Having no practical purpose or use.
n.
1. A member of an institution of higher learning.
2. One who has an academic viewpoint or a scholarly background.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2003. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.