Re: [xmca] Re: xmca Digest, Vol 45, Issue 47: Ilyenkov on ideality and social relations

Steve,

I have been looking carefully through the text of "The Concept of the
Ideal." I think there is evidence to support both our interpretations, but
(of course!) I see more that supports mine.

At times Ilyenkov does write as though all artifacts are not only social but
also ideal. But more often I think he drawing a distinction. Life is too
short for me to learn Russian to check the original.

My reluctance to accept your reading, that *any* artifact "contains"
ideality stems from this. First, if all artifacts are ideal then there would
be no distinction between the material and the ideal. Ilyenkov describes how
even the stars are observed in terms of human interests and concerns, and
seen as time-keepers and calendars. Our only contact with the material is
mediated by social forms of life. But if every artifact is also ideal, there
seems no way to distinguish the two.

Second, ideality is a relation between two specific objects. As you rightly
point out, Ilyenkov takes the analysis by Marx of the commodity-form as a
paradigm case of ideality. An object is ideal when its existence embodies or
represents the form of another object. If all artifacts were ideal, what
would they represent? Each would represent another, which would represent
another, which....?

It's as though all objects were commodities, all the time. How could we ever
notice?

If I'm correct in this reading there is an interesting difference between
Ilyenkov and Leontiev. The latter writes that:

"For man a tool is not only an object with a certain external shape and
certain mechanical properties; he sees it as an object embodying socially
developed ways of acting with it, i.e. labour operations. An adequate
relation between man and tool is therefore primarily expressed
in his appropriating (practically or theoretically-only in
their significance) the operations fixed in it, by developing
his own human abilities" (p. 296)

...and one of his favorite examples is the young child using a spoon.

But the operations that *made* a spoon are completely different from the
practices in which one *uses* a spoon to eat. Throughout "Problems in the
Development of Mind" Leontiev shifts too and fro between claiming that the
child becomes conscious by simply *using* a spoon, and recognizing that
*adult guidance* is needed. An example of the latter kind of explanation:
"[The adult] helps the baby and intervenes in its action; in the *joint*
action thus arising the baby gets the knack of using a spoon. It has now
mastered the spoon as a human object" (p. 424). (I still haven't had time to
reconstruct the jumbled chronology in this book.)

My point is that Leontiev's claim that "the advances of humanity" are
"embodied" in *all* social objects gets him into trouble, because with an
object like a spoon, a tool (which for Ilyenkov would *not* be an ideal
object), he always has to add social interaction to get the ontogenesis
done. It may be that by identifying a *specific* kind of 'ideal' object
Ilyenkov is able to avoid this problem.

Martin