Re: [xmca] XM, C's and H's

From: Derek Melser <derek.melser who-is-at gmail.com>
Date: Tue Dec 16 2008 - 01:14:22 PST

Andy, and anyone else?
Well, I would say heat is a relative physical state, immediately objectively
observable, scientifically specifiable and measurable... real as, man. I
mean, put your hand in the fire. Who would think heat is 'a metaphor', a
'fiction'? And just because heat is such a ground-level physical reality in
our lives, it seems odd even to raise the question whether it 'exists' or
not.

Consciousness, if it is conceived as a light inside someone's head (or
brain) or as, really, any kind of goings-on inside people's heads, is a
fiction, and a metaphor. But conceived in a more sophisticated way, as an *
action* -- in the sense of someone being conscious of the lateness of the
hour, being conscious of that tiny fracture in the windscreen, or someone
carefully thinking what he is doing -- consciousness is not going to attract
any reality doubts. No-one would think of denying the 'existence' (at least,
the existence as a practice) of consciousness. You can see people doing it
all the time, and one knows what it is like to do, to be conscious of
something, or to be conscious of doing something, to be self-aware in the
act of doing something.

Well, what's the difference between the reality of physical states and
properties such as heat, and the reality of actions? Is that what you're
keen to know, Andy? Which is the more 'real'? Which exists more 'strongly',
perhaps?
Really, Andy, if you want examples of metaphor you should look at
expressions like "his patience was wearing thin", "pushing shit up hill",
and so on...