Re: [xmca] motive/project

From: Mike Cole <lchcmike who-is-at gmail.com>
Date: Sun Dec 14 2008 - 17:03:22 PST

Thanks for the explanation, David. I did not understand what happened.

Interesting idea about next turns and play. The preferred option keeps the
conversation going and (like ping pong?) invites a next response? And like
ping pong is a game? (Ping pong may be a bad example because it is a game
with rules?).

Can you help with the motive part of the discussion? If kinds of activity
are distinguished by their motives, and play is a kind of activity, then the
kid's motive was to play? To keep the conversation going? Was motivated by
his/her idea about what the teacher expected in the genre of instruction?

As indicated in an earlier message, the uses of the term, motive (like,
often, uses of the term, object) are a constant source of confusion to me.

mike