Re: [xmca] more questions about Sawchuk and Stetsenko article: whose sociology???

From: Andy Blunden <ablunden who-is-at mira.net>
Date: Thu Dec 11 2008 - 02:05:55 PST

Steve, ANL never spells out what would be *an* activity,
i.e., the unit of analysis of activity, but this one from
AC&P comes close:

“A basic or, as is sometimes said, a constituting
characteristic of activity is its objectivity. Properly, the
concept of its object is already implicitly contained in the
very concept of activity. The expression ‘objectless
activity’ is devoid of any meaning. Activity may seem
objectless, but scientific investigation of activity
necessarily requires discovering its object. Thus, the
object of activity is twofold: first, in its independent
existence as subordinating to itself and transforming the
activity of the subject; second, as an image of the object,
as a product of its property of psychological reflection
that is realized as an activity of the subject and cannot
exist otherwise.”

As I understand it, ANL is using the word "subject" in the
Kantian sense, i.e., an individual organism, so activities
are objective with respect to the individual. He seems to
say that the activity has a double existence, both the
objective existence in which it is *given* to the
individual, and in the form of the image by which the
individual organism orients its actions, i.e., as its motive.

But prior to that, every activity has its object, the object
is the defining characteristic of "an" activity. So if we
want to know about the Mafia, MiraMax, MacDonald's or the
NBL we have to begin by asking "what's if for?" or "what is
the object of this activity?"

Now, this would make perfect since in the USSR of the Stalin
era, every branch of the administered society is "for"
something. Perhaps ANL did not mean for us to interpret "an
activity" this way. He actually never clarifies what "an"
activity is, and specifically rejects the idea of a "unit of
analysis."

For the purposes od psychology, I think this is al fine, but
for sociology, ... if we put this approach alongside
Parsons, I'd say they are both varieties of Functionalism,
but Parsons looks more sophisticated. Let alone Foucault, or
Giddens, Weber, Bourdieu, ... Engstrom of course deals with
this because of the process of repeated mediation produces
activities which are connected only remotely with human needs.

BTW, Hegel (1800s) and Thomas Carlyle (1830s) has both
worked out the idea of production of "tools" as the root of
human culture, but these writers wrote before the
publication of "Origins of Species" (1859). Engels' "Ape to
Man" (1876) was published a mere 17 years after Darwin's
book. Remarkable. But that was 100 years before ANL's A,C&P
(1878).

Andy