RE: [xmca] Activity theory and qualitative research

From: Lubomir Savov Popov <lspopov who-is-at bgsu.edu>
Date: Sat Nov 22 2008 - 12:08:05 PST

Dear Mary,

This is a question that entertains me for some time as well. I approach it methodologically in the following way. CHAT is created within the environment of a particular paradigm. The question is: Is that paradigm compatible with the humanistic/qualitative paradigm you intend to use? My answer is: Probably not, although I am open to lean how this might become possible. I personally have interest in combining these options. I have conducted a study with such hybrid methodology, with the awareness about the compromises I make.

CHAT is a product of a modernist paradigm; most humanistic paradigms are pre-modernist/post-modernist. It will be very difficult to translate terminology and ideas between these different types of paradigms. CHAT is heavily reliant on deductive thinking. Qualitative research methods work just the other way. I see a contradiction here. The strength and contributions of CHAT is in the frameworks that it provides. These frameworks provide direction, save time, guarantee outcomes. However, the directions also work like filters and constrain research outcomes.

If we expand the notion of activity theory or activity methodology beyond CHAT, we might get different answers. The issue here is to what degree do CHAT and activity studies overlap or differentiate. Then we can have many different answers. I personally am looking for activity studies beyond CHAT, in order to explore other options as well.

Saying all this, I have to acknowledge that some strains of activity theory like activity methodology of the Moscow activity circle offer very powerful instruments for problem solving. They offer general activity frameworks that help shorten research and problem solving time and have a successful result. I am not sure what we lose in these cases. Probably something important, but if we don't see it, then we are satisfied. I am still planning to use activity methodologies. I simply keep them separate from qualitative methodologies, in separate projects. Even in such cases, I experience the pain of alternating different ways of thinking and the need to deal with very different concepts and to find ways to compare them.

Best,

Lubomir

Lubomir Popov, Ph.D.
Associate Professor