Re: [xmca] Activity theory and qualitative research

From: Elina Lampert-Shepel <ellampert who-is-at gmail.com>
Date: Wed Nov 19 2008 - 23:34:11 PST

Mary and Mike,
 I have been interested in this theme for quite a long time. Mary, you raise
some important issues. I organized 2007 AERA symposium on exactly the same
topic and the presentations were fascinating. Martin Parker organized AERA
symposium on CHAT as a research methodology in 2008. I am now at Vygotskian
Russian Institute of Pscyhology participating in the conference on *Methodology
and methods of psychological research (cultural-historical aspect)* and it
has been already three days we were discusing various issues related to
cultural-historical methodology as well as research methodology that is
grounded on it.

There is a lot to say, but I need to come back to New York before I can
fully participate in the discussion. In my presentation I tried to explore
various form of relationships between cultural-historical psychology and
focused most of all on their complementarity. I would argue
that cultural-historical psychology has been used mainly as a theoretical
framework in qualitative research rather than research methodology.
To be continued,
Elina

On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 10:49 PM, Mike Cole <lchcmike@gmail.com> wrote:

> Mary--
>
> Your note come at a time when a professor and group of students in Bogota,
> Columbia, are, among other things, asking the same questions.
>
> The topic seems so worthwhile of systematic co-reading and discussion in
> order to create significant common ground that it seems unlikely we can get
> a mutually satisfying grip on the issues in the helter-skelter of XMCA. But
> we could create, within the existing XMCA framework, a focused
> discussion on this topic which always had the same header and where
> participants agreed to read together, discuss together, even do interactive
> video discussions together.
>
> It has worked in the past and our facilities are stronger, so it can work
> again.
>
> I have written some on this issue and my very short answer is that
> depending
> upon the purposes of the research, both what are considered qualitative and
> quantitative methods
> (under at least some of the desiderata that different people
> focus on when discussing qualitative research) are appropriate within a
> chat
> framework.
>
> An example I use is one where we start with fieldnotes written by
> undergraduates. On the basis of those notes we
> are able to identify/classify/count various kinds of events
> involving characteristic behaviors and artifacts. We then
> can provide interesting evidence (quantitative) to justify claims for a
> particular designed environment as increasing,
> relative to relevant contrasting situation, behaviors we had hoped to
> foster. But then, we also see trends (say, by age)
> in the frequency of some one(s) of those countable categories and we are
> driven back to the fieldnotes because the categories "lied." They lumped
> together variations which,
> as a first pass, we could pass over, but which we were pushed back to at a
> later stage.
>
> In so far as CHAT is interested in developmental transformations, and in so
> far as the term, "developmental transformation" involves qualitative
> variation, what would it mean to exclude qualitative methods? If it is
> claimed that the use of the change laboratory has effects desired by postal
> workers in Helsinki, what would it mean if there was no quantitative
> evidence that they had achieved goals that were a part of the strategies
> they had decided to implement, a process which is itself a process of
> qualitative change?? Sure as hell their managers are going to do some
> counting.
>
> The above is by way of an unsatisfactory answer and a call for those who
> have serious common interests in such complex problems to coordinate in an
> effective manner to make headway on obtaining answers that they found
> productive according to their local criteria
> mike

> [...]

Eternity is in love with the productions of time.
                          - William Blake