Re: [xmca] Re: the Strange Situation

From: Andy Blunden <ablunden who-is-at mira.net>
Date: Sat Oct 25 2008 - 22:31:59 PDT

I honed in on what you said about Kant, David, only because
what you said about Hegel seemed spot on. It was your
phrase: "Kantian reflections of unknowable 'things in
themselves'" which I objected to.

Once you're on top of Marx or Hegel, especially if you know
about 20th century science, it is easy to trash Kant, but if
you take account of what was not know in 1800 (in the light
of what is known in 2000), then Kant has to be given some
credit. The idea of a thing-in-itself which is unknowable,
is commensurate with the subject which is also a "nothing"
simply the subject to which thoughts and actions are
predicated. This opens the way for a constructivist theory
of knowledge and science. In a sense Kant can be criticised
for not going far enough, because there were some things
which in 1800 they *thought* they knew, which in fact they
didn't, notably Euclidean geometry.

Andy