[xmca] Fwd: Overcoming the Socioeconomic Barriers to School Success

From: Mike Cole <lchcmike who-is-at gmail.com>
Date: Thu Sep 25 2008 - 17:45:23 PDT

Fyi. Unfortunately, I teach for a living and cannot go to this, but it would
be great to visit
new york to find the answers to our problems.
mike

Subject: Overcoming the Socioeconomic Barriers to School Success

       <http://listserv.tc.columbia.edu/t/1034926/5440511/125/0/>

*
Invites you to attend the Fourth Annual Equity Symposium*

*Comprehensive Educational Equity:
Overcoming the Socioeconomic Barriers to School Success*
 *November 17-18, 2008*
*Teachers College, Columbia University*

We hope you will attend the Campaign for Educational Equity's 2008 Equity
Symposium.

The purpose of this year's conference is to confront the reality that to
overcome achievement gaps and promote academic proficiency for all children,
we must tackle the full range of opportunity gaps faced by children from
backgrounds of concentrated poverty, including health-, home-, and
community-related barriers to learning, as well as inequities in academic
opportunities.

We intend to:

   - Review current research on these issues
   - Examine the experiences of important demonstration projects
   - Present estimates of the actual costs of providing a range of the most
   essential services, and
   - Consider feasible initiatives for implementing a policy of
   comprehensive services on a broad scale.

Others have studied this approach over the years, and many, varied
demonstration projects have been mounted. This conference will explore how
we move from pilots to policy with specific proposals for bringing the scale
efforts to provide access to necessary resources and comprehensive services.

With a video introduction by *Tony Blair *and presentations by* Chuck Basch,
Geoffrey Canada, Arne Duncan, Edmund Gordon, Carl Hayden, Cheryl Hayes,
Sharon Lynn Kagan, Milbrey McLaughlin, Michael Rebell, Richard Rothstein,
Heather Weiss, and others. *

   - View complete list of presenters and
discussants<http://listserv.tc.columbia.edu/t/1034926/5440511/57/0/>
    - View the tentative conference
agenda<http://listserv.tc.columbia.edu/t/1034926/5440511/58/0/>

   <http://listserv.tc.columbia.edu/t/1034926/5440511/126/0/>

   *Registration fees:*
(includes breakfast and lunch):

   - $95 for full symposium; $50 for one day
    - TC and Columbia students, staff and faculty: $15
    - Other university students: $30
    - TC Alumni: $70 for full symposium; $40 for one day

*[image: Register] <http://listserv.tc.columbia.edu/t/1034926/5440511/59/0/>
*
(Register at www.tcequity.org/symposium<http://listserv.tc.columbia.edu/t/1034926/5440511/126/0/>
)

*Individuals with disabilities are invited to request reasonable
accommodations including, but not limited to sign language interpretation,
Braille or large print materials, and a campus map of accessible features.
Address these requests to the Office of Access and Services for Individuals
with Disabilities at (212) 678-3689, keller@tc.edu, or Deaf and Hard of
Hearing Services at (212) 678-3853 V/TTY, jaech@tc.edu. *