Re: [xmca] US discovers capitalism doesn't work

From: Jonna Kangasoja <jonna.kangasoja who-is-at helsinki.fi>
Date: Sun Sep 21 2008 - 03:23:51 PDT

I agree with Martin, especially on the need to do analysis from the
point of view of people acting by the rules, such as the ordinary
people working in banks, either on the customer front or in middle
management supervising them. One seemingly simple component in the
psychology of playing by the rules were the incentives; apparently it
was possible to double one's yearly income by selling as much credit
as possible. That is a very strong institutional sign of acceptance
of something that might have felt dubious by the people actually
making the credit decisions.

A new feature in the day to day work of these people was that the
decision making responsibility regarding the loans was for the first
time shifted to a computer program, which by some risk assessing
algorithm came up with the 'yes' or 'no' credit (mostly yes) in each
individual case. I think this new tool must have been one important
component in how acceptability was produced in the personal
experience and more widely to a practice that has after the fact been
turned out to be highly questionable.

What I learned when now visiting the US and talking with people, was
that it is not only poor people who really couldn't afford the loans
they were given (let alone the interest on it which rose soaring as
they made deals with the banks in which they were led to believe that
the first three years were interest free, as they did not need to pay
back anything during that time) who are now in trouble, but the
middle class people who turned the imaginary rise in the value of
their own houses into more credit money from the bank - just to buy
new bigger cars and the like.

Jonna