[xmca] Fwd: CRESC Annual Conference 2009 - Objects - What Matters? Technology, Value and Social Change

From: Mike Cole <lchcmike who-is-at gmail.com>
Date: Fri Sep 19 2008 - 15:56:30 PDT

This looks like a really fascinating conference for xmca-ites.
mike

*From: *"Olubusola Awosanya" <Olubusola.Awosanya@manchester.ac.uk>
*Date: *September 19, 2008 4:43:20 AM PDT
*To: *undisclosed-recipients:;
*Subject: **CRESC Annual Conference 2009 - Objects - What Matters?
Technology, Value and Social Change*

*CRESC 5th Annual Conference 2009*

*Objects - What Matters? Technology, Value and Social Change*
1-4 September 2009, University of Manchester

The fifth annual conference of CRESC will tackle *Objects - What Matters?
Technology, Value and Social Change*. As contemporary social theorists
continue to signal the need to reconfigure our deliberations on the social
through attention to practice, to object-mediated relations, to non-human
agency and to the affective dimensions of human sociality, this conference
takes as its focus the objects and values which find themselves at centre
stage. And we ask, in the context of nearly two decades of diverse
disciplinary approaches to these issues, what matters about objects? How are
they inflecting our understandings of technology, of expertise, and of
social change? How has a focus on objects reconfigured our understandings of
how values inflect the ways in which people make relations, create social
worlds, and construct conceptual categories? How have objects become
integral to human enthusiasms and energies, to transformational ambition, or
to the transmission of values across time and space? How do objects move
between ordinary and extraordinary states, shade in and out of significance,
manifest instability and uncertainty? How do moral and material values
attach to objects as they move in space and time? What dimensions do they
inhabit and/or reveal?

For the full call of papers please go to
http://www.cresc.ac.uk/events/conference2009/callforpapers.html or open the
attached document.

For information about how to submit a paper or complete session please go to
http://www.cresc.ac.uk/events/conference2009/guidelines.html

*Josine Opmeer*
*Centre Administrator*
*ESRC Centre for Research on Socio-Cultural Change*
*The University of Manchester*
*178 Waterloo Place, Oxford Road*
*MANCHESTER, M13 9PL*
*Tel: +44 (0)161 275 8990 / Fax: +44 (0)161 275 8986*
*josine.opmeer@manchester.ac.uk*
*www.cresc.ac.uk*

*CRESC is a collaboration between the Open University and the University of
Manchester*