Re: [xmca] What Does the Russian Say (3 points)?

From: Anton Yasnitsky <the_yasya who-is-at yahoo.com>
Date: Fri Sep 19 2008 - 08:06:00 PDT

RE: What's going on? Does anyone know why this was cut in the 1956 edition and the 1982 edition? --

Three points:

1. I do confirm that the fragment that appears neither in the 1956 or 1982 Russian editions (or the Minick translation of 1987) did appear in the original edition of 1934 as well as the recent Russian edition of Thinking & Speech by Labirint publishers (e.g. that of 1999).

A comment: the text of chapter 2 of Thinking & Speech was in fact first published in 1932 as Vygotsky's introduction to the volume of Piaget's translated works; see item 220 on the list of Vygotsky's bibliography compiled by Lifanova: http://www.voppsy.ru/journals_all/issues/1996/965/965137.htm . The fragment that was cut out in the subsequent editions of Thinking and Speech can be found in this 1932 chapter, too (the chapter was republished in 1994 by Pedagogika-Press, Moscow).

2. I personally do not think this omission dramatically changes the meaning of the entire chapter. Thus, on the next page of Minick's translation one can find a paragraph strating with "However, the profound crisis in contemporary psychology inevitably had its influence on this new approach to the study of the child's logic" where Vygotsky very critically discusses the work of Piaget along with the three authors that were mentioned in the 1932-34 paragraph that was "lost in traslation", i.e. Freud, Blondel, & Levi-Bruhl [sic!] (see p. 54 of the Minick's translation). It does not sound as very much pro-Piagetian, does it?..

3. As to the WHY question, -- well, I guess we can only speculate about this at this point, and this is definitely not the only instance of editing of Vygotosky's text done in his posthumous publications. I don't think we could possibly identify any concrete reason why any particular change in the text was made and really doubt it really matters anyway...

P.S. A personal remark: creating a new Korean version of Thinking and Speech might be a great idea, but doing so through comparing the various translations of the text and not having an expert Russian-speaker on board looks, to me, a little bit overambitious and unprofessional, does it not?

Finally, as to the translations, you might also try the Japanese (9. Shiko to gengo. Tokyo: Meiji tosho shuppan, 1962. 2 vol.), German (Denken und Sprechen. Berlin: Akademie-Verl., 1964), French (Pensee et langage. P.: Terrains, 1985) or Spanish ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pensamiento-Lenguaje-Liev-Semionovich-Vigotski/dp/8449301653 ) translations, among other, more exotic ones (see the Lifanova's list).