Re: [xmca] déjatel¹ nost¹

From: Andy Blunden <ablunden who-is-at mira.net>
Date: Fri Sep 05 2008 - 05:34:52 PDT

Michael,
If you look at the famous Marx quote from the Grundrisse
http://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1857/grundrisse/ch01.htm#3
where he explains about rising from concrete to abstract and
back again, etc., you will see that he talks about the
historical development of political economic thought. The
theorist has to follow *that movement*. It's not that Marx's
thought has no rules, just that it finds its rules in the
object it is trying to understand.

Andy

Michael Glassman wrote:
> Steve,
>
> Wow that was a good post. But how can you say there are no rules. Obviously you haven't heard of the three immutable rules of the universe,
>
> Rule #1 Never eat at a place called Mom's
>
> Rue #2 Never play cards with a person named "Doc"
>
> Rule #3 Never fall in love with somebody who has more problems than you do
>
> But even beyond this I'm not sure I agree with you that Marx's logic has no rules - they are just not the same type of analytical rules that emerges through deductive thinking that we are often used to. As I said before I think that the logic is relational and that the rules emerge from the relationships that develop between objects (yes with Marx working towards productivity) - and as I said earlier I think Pierce had much the same thing in mind in the development of his logic. I wonder - is there really such a thing as a dialectical logic, as Michael mentioned earlier or (and Andy might take my head off for this) is a dialectic simply a mechanism of change within a logical framework. Hegel saw the framework as being basically deductive, that you think of an ideal society and then when you realize you are not there this fosters a dialectical change. This is what Hegel meant perhaps when he suggested that the French revolution allowed individuals to, for perhaps the fi
rst time, turn upside down and start walking on their heads. The French idealogues imagined a better society and tried to get there (Hegel I suppose would say through dialectical development).

> I think Marx's response was, if you think you have an idea of what a great society is then check your wallet. You can't move down from an ideal to concrete actions, it just couldn't work that way, and was far too dangerous (again, the Pragmatists would make much the same argument in the United States a few years later). It was actually individual actions that were abstractions in their immediate sense and then you traced them out to their larger social relationships, and it was there you had a true picture of society that was not ideal but actually concrete. Thus Marx was turning the progress of society back on its feet so human could walk again (be in control through their own actions I think rather than controlled by some ideology).
>
> But I think that there are rules to this, just not the rules that we are used to. One of the key rules is that every time you take a step back from a relationship and see the larger web of relationship you view of the situation becomes less abstract and more concrete - because you have a better understanding of what is happening that is not guided by ideology. So I see Oscar see a Coke to Harry - Hmmmm, a simple sale. I take a step back and I see that Oscar is under pressure to sell so many bottles of Coke a day or he will lose his Coke stand. All of a sudden the transaction has a different and less abstract, more concrete meaning. I take another step back and see that Oscar used to sell tea that his wife made, but he was forced to change what he was selling because Coke created an ad campaign claiming if you want to be hip you have to drink Coke. This gives even a more concrete less abstract concept of what is going on. The more I add in all the other things that a
re going on concerning Coke and tea in this village the greater my understanding. And yes, I think this is definitely a rule. But also each time my understanding changes it does, like Andy suggested, create a different lens for veiwing the world. The lens though was not arbitrary but based on how many steps back I was willing and able to take.