Re: [xmca] déjatel’nost

From: Andy Blunden <ablunden who-is-at mira.net>
Date: Wed Sep 03 2008 - 17:17:46 PDT

Thanks for that Dot.

The article you provided us with from AA Leontyev really
settled the matter, didn't it? But AAL also clearly showed
how open is the whole science. In general, once a great
founder has determined a unit of analysis - which is not
*just* some thing known to everyone, which it is as well,
but a clear *conception* of it, then, as you beg for,
everyone else can just get on with doing the empirical and
theoretical leg work without arguing about methodology all
the time. But this is not the case (according to AAL, and I
agree) with Activity Theory.

You said, and I see that you are right, that ANL generally
used the word "unit" in inverted commas, I think, (1)
because he had not yet been able to form that *clear
conception* of the thing, which dialectical science demands,
and (2) because he worked with an interdisciplinary science
which had three units: operation, action and activity. He
explained what they are but IMHO, so far as I have read,
which is not very far, being a slow reader, he never
determined a clear Begriff of any of the three. But I think
it can be done. Hegel gave us (I think) a good lead for
"activity" and I think we go to other sources, and so some
work, and maybe, hopefully find a way forward with
"operation" and "action," but for now ...

Andy