Re: [xmca] déjatel’nost’

From: Steve Gabosch <stevegabosch who-is-at mac.com>
Date: Mon Sep 01 2008 - 18:46:49 PDT

On your last comment, Andy, I for sure have much to learn about the
concept "unit of analysis". I like the way Dot speaks of a "system"
of units, levels, methodology, etc. A very quick read of the AA
Leontiev article on "Units" that Dot refers us to reveals that it will
take some serious study for me to absorb - in a way, it is a summary
of many key themes over the history of activity theory, a history I
most certainly have much to learn about. I know that one thing I do
as I am learning a new concept is try to find ways to use it, to apply
its terms, to incorporate it wherever I can, including into everyday
situations if possible; in short, play with it - and sometimes I will
stretch it too far from its intended meaning, throw it around too
loosely, as you put it, and I will need to get reined in, which
appears to be what you are graciously doing.

So would you, or anyone, help me out: what is the "precise meaning" of
"unit of analysis"?

- Steve