Re: [xmca] Book entitled Zones of Proletarian Development

From: Mike Cole <lchcmike who-is-at gmail.com>
Date: Thu Jul 24 2008 - 15:06:31 PDT

That's really helpful, Margaret

2008/7/24 Margaret Woodruff-Wieding <mwieding@austin.rr.com>

> Well, I certainly wasn't voting against a review by Jonna and Bruce. I
> just wanted all of us to buy the book and start talking about it in our
> regular listserv here. I get a lot out of this listserv. I really like the
> idea of
> different people covering each others backs/vulnerabilities in
> complementary ways. Right now a lot of us
> are struggling with the idea of social situation of development as it
> relates to the learning/teaching/development nexus of issues and so
> conceptions that articulate those thinkers, and/or they articulate seems
> productive.

    At the same time, I believe it could be pretty interestingly argued that
while XMCA-ites might *theorize* turning the world upside down, of making
development a process that one does THROUGH/WITH others ( a very good reason
to do unto others as you would have them do unto you), a lot of their work
is either rendered completely irrelevant through marginalization practices
under discussion with respect to journal ratings or
it domesticated to the point of simply proping up early 20th Century
Capitalism.

   Of course there appear to be a distinct absence of well articulared
attractive possible futures out there to choose from. Once upon a time some
people had a vision of a better way of doing things without first having to
die and go to that home in the sky. That is why, if XMCA people think this
book provides tools for thinking about such issues, we should all read and
discuss.

(AND, we can have the two person review also -- assuming it passes our high
quality, highly selective,
A+ rated evaluation system, of course)

Isn't it nice to be able to write here without such fearsome constraints,
but mostly the fear of being ignored,
to contend with?

Maybe you should send around the specs on the book again so people who did
not notice the first time around will notice and obtain.
mike