Re: [Spam:***** ] Re: [xmca] Call for Proposals and Reviewers

From: Monica E. Nilsson <monica.e.nilsson who-is-at bth.se>
Date: Mon Jul 21 2008 - 02:27:32 PDT

It sounds very interesting - I would be interested in your
understanding and interpretations of the process and the material.
Let's get together at ISCAR and chat. Yes, I am familiar with Reggio.
It used to be very influential in Swedish preschools when I worked as
a preschool teacher in the 70s and 80s. Unfortunately some of the
instantiations in Sweden, as often happens, are not permeated by the
ideas/ideology of Malaguzzi and instead they became lousy copies
missing the soul or spirit. They do the aesthetic activities (visual
art predominately) in a isolated manner -- they don't create a "play
world". The Swedish scholar Gunilla Lindqvist who developed the idea
of "play world" and "pedagogy of creative play" has an interesting
relationship to the Reggio-pedagogy that would be interesting to
discuss. I visited Reggio Emilia 2 years ago. It was very
interesting, among other things, to see the famous town square. They
also have a very nice activity center. I have not read it but there
is a book written by researchers from Harvard about Reggio: (http://
www.pz.harvard.edu/ebookstore/detail.cfm?pub_id=133)

Monica