[xmca] back to the Zoped - sorry

From: deborah downing-wilson <ddowningw who-is-at gmail.com>
Date: Fri Jul 18 2008 - 15:10:43 PDT

I'm looking back over XMCA Zoped discussions from years past trying to
clarify my understanding of the way CHAT conceives of the development of the
more capable member of the triad.

I'm looking at undergraduate students in practicum learning programs and
would like to think in terms of embedded, or cascading, or interactive
zopeds.

Maybe it's enough just to situate them in different positions in two
concurrent zopeds? at once the novice to the professor's expertise and the
expert to the novice child? But the professor isn't always present at the
time of the undergrad/child interaction - unfortunately not even in mind at
times - and yet the undergrad surely continues to develop. How might we
think about this?

While it seems to be widely accepted that teaching is an effective method of
deepening one's understanding of a topic, there doesn't seem to be a lot
written about this. Or maybe I'm not looking in the right places.

--
Deborah Downing Wilson
Laboratory for Comparative Human Cognition