RE: [xmca] RE: mental health

From: Achilles Delari Junior <achilles_delari who-is-at hotmail.com>
Date: Fri Jul 11 2008 - 11:36:27 PDT

Mike and Anton,

Yes, theory and practice methodology must be signaled.
I undestand that in 1927 Vygotsky talk about the more
general methological principle as 'dialetic'. Do this make sense?

'(...) the dialectic of psychology – this is what we may now call
the general psychology in opposition to Binswanger’s definition
of a “critique of psychology” – is the science of the most general
forms of movement (in the form of behavior and knowledge of
this movement), i.e., the dialectic of psychology is at the same
time the dialectic of man as the object of psychology, just as
the dialectic of the natural sciences is at the same time the
dialectic of nature.' (Vygotsky. The Historical Meaning of The
Crisis in Psychology: A Methodological Investigation. Cap 5.
http://www.marxists.org/archive/vygotsky/works/crisis/psycri05.htm)

Seems that applied psychology demands/gives impulse to the
development of this general psychology, as 'dialetic of psychology'...

'The center has shifted in the history of science: what was at the
periphery became the center of the circle. One can say about
appliedpsychology what can be said about philosophy which was
rejected byempirical psychology: “the stone which the builders
rejected is becomethe head stone of the corner.”
(Vygotsky. The Historical Meaning of The Crisis in Psychology:
A Methodological Investigation. Cap 12.
http://www.marxists.org/archive/vygotsky/works/crisis/psycri12.htm)

Then I'm iterested in psychology applied to mental health...
Can we really creat semiotical means to produce better mental
health to people? Or this kind of a goal is a mistake like possible
Vygotsky´s or perhaps some Vygotsky's followers' mistakes about
'social engeneering'?

The references pointed by Anton are very interesting. There we
can see, for example, the Vygotsky´s thesis (presented in Barcelona's
1930 Sixth Congress of the International Association of
Applied Psychology) called 'Le problème des fonctions
intellectuelles supérieures dans le système des recherches
psychotechniques'... (but without the pages 336-341)...

Vygotsky refers to psychopatogical questions in researchs related
to a construction of a critical view in the field of applied psychology:
'Les recherches expérimentales des fonctions intellectuelles supé-
rieures (formation des concepts, attention active, mémoire active,
réaction compliquée du choix - libre et déterminé), l'éclaircissement
du procès de leur developpement chez l'enfant (pensée concrète,
intellect practice, langage égocentrique, formes précoces du travail
enfantin) et l'étude de leur decomposition aux violations pathologiquesde l'activité intellectuelle (dans l'aphasie, dans l'hystérie, dansl'oligophrénie, dans l'encéphalite épidémique), faits par l'auteur et
ses collaborateurs, perment à fixer un point de vue nouveau sur
cette question...' (Vygotsky. In: Applied Psychology. The First-
Thirteenth Congress Proceedings of the International Association of
Applied Psychology. Vol 6. The Sixth Congress, Barcelona, 1930. Ed.
Horst Gundlach - p. 332)

Somebody knows how can I obtain a complete version of these
Vygotsky's thesis?

Thank you very much, Anton and Mike. I will read Anton's suggestions,
trying to compose an initial understanding about Psychology applied
to mental health questions/production.

Achilles,
Umuarama, July 11, 2008.